10/20/09

My thoughts on the New Moon Soundtrack

I'd like to start by telling you stright up that I was not really a big fan of any of the bands on the CD, apart from Alexandre Desplat. But being a good fan and with all the hype, I thought I should give it a listen. I'm not usually a big fan of soundtracks unless I've seen the movie first. I admit, I saw Twilight before I heard the soundtrack and actually like most of it. Even though I can't say I was a fan of any of the bands beforehand.


Some of them I had heard before and heard of before and others were completely new to me. Which is fine. I love to find great new music. I went into listening the first time with no expectations other than "OOOhhhh, the soundtrack will be awesome. These bands are great." and blah blah blah. We all read the bits and pieces about who would be included and that it was going to be "amazing." And I have the iTunes version so you'll get my thoughts on the bonus tracks as well.



I was sadly disappointed. There is one song I love, a couple I like, and a couple I have already removed from my ipod because I just can't listen to them again. I realize I am probably in the minority here and that's why I waited and gave it a couple extra listens before writing this post. I didn't want to be hasty and have an angry mob on my hands! lol And I should tell you, the lyrics may be the most beautiful ever written, but if doesn't have a good track behind them, I will fast forward. I do not pretend to know where these songs will be in the finished product. Scene placement my help. Or not. We will have to wait and see. Please don't hurt me, its just my opinion :)


The link after each song will take you to that band's Yahoo! Music page.


1. Meet Me on the Equinox - Death Cab for Cutie
This is the only track I heard before the release. I tried to really like it. For me, it's okay but not my favorite. It's got a pretty good beat so it's still on the ipod.
----------------
Now playing: Death Cab For Cutie - Meet Me On The Equinox
via FoxyTunes


2. Friends - Band of Skulls
Never heard of these guys but this song I really like. It's got a catchy little beat.
----------------
Now playing: Band Of Skulls - Friends
via FoxyTunes


3. Hearing Damage - Thom Yorke
This was a song I was looking forward to after all the hype. Again, I was not impressed. It's alright but nothing great.
----------------
Now playing: Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage
via FoxyTunes


4. Possibility - Lykke Li
This reminds me of a song by Jewel. Make that a CD by Jewel. It's alright. I could see it growing on me since I already like it more than I did on first listen.
----------------
Now playing: Lykke Li - Possibility
via FoxyTunes


5. White Demon Love Song - The Killers
This is another song that I really like. I don't know a lot of songs by the Killers but I'm glad this one is included.
----------------
Now playing: The Killers - A White Demon Love Song
via FoxyTunes


6.Satellite Heart - Anya Marina
This song is alright, but it also reminds me of Jewel. I don't see it growing on me. It really kind of annoys me.
----------------
Now playing: Anya Marina - Satellite Heart
via FoxyTunes


7. I Belong to You - Muse
Again, another song we were supposed to fall in love with. Sorry. I definitely hear the potential of it growing on me but right now, it's just alright for me.
----------------
Now playing: Muse - I Belong to You
via FoxyTunes


8. Roslyn - Bon Iver & St. Vincent
This is one of the songs I had to remove from the ipod already. Something about it just makes me really not like it.
----------------
Now playing: Bon Iver & St. Vincent - Roslyn
via FoxyTunes


9. Done All Wrong - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Never heard of these guys but I kinda like this song. Are you seeing a pattern? I am.
----------------
Now playing: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Done All Wrong
via FoxyTunes


10. Monsters - Hurricane Bells
It's a pretty good song. Pretty upbeat track for all the gloominess of the story, but like I said, I don't presume to know how these will be used so..
----------------
Now playing: Hurricane Bells - Monsters
via FoxyTunes


11. The Violet Hour - Sea Wolf
This is one of my favorites, again by someone unknown to me. A fun song that doesn't put me to sleep like some of the others.
----------------
Now playing: Sea Wolf - The Violet Hour
via FoxyTunes


12. Shooting the Moon - OK Go
It's a pretty good song. I like it a little more each time I hear it.
----------------
Now playing: OK Go - Shooting The Moon
via FoxyTunes


13. Slow Life - Grizzly Bear
Just doesn't do it for me. At all. Really kind of annoys me. May have to get booted from the ipod.
----------------
Now playing: Grizzly Bear - Slow Life
via FoxyTunes


14. No Sound but the Wind - Editors
I really hate this guys voice. It may be a beautiful song if someone else was singing but I can't get past the first 2 lines. GONE.
----------------
Now playing: Editors - No Sound But The Wind
via FoxyTunes


15. The Meadow - Alexandre Desplat
What can I say? Beautiful. I am sooo looking forward to the score, which I will be buying on hard copy, not iTunes. I love what he did on The Painted Veil and The Girl with the Pearl Earring scores and so I expect this to be amazing and beautiful music.
----------------
Now playing: Alexandre Desplat - New Moon (The Meadow)
via FoxyTunes


Bonus Tracks
16. Solar Midnite - Lupe Fiasco
I'm not usually a fan of Lupe Fiasco, and this song isn't going to change that. It's just not a favorite.
----------------
Now playing: Lupe Fiasco - Solar Midnite
via FoxyTunes


17. All I Believe In - The Magic Numbers & Amadou & Mariam
I can see where this guys voice would annoy, but I really kinda like this song. Nice and mellow.
----------------
Now playing: The Magic Numbers & Amadou & Mariam - All I Believe In
via FoxyTunes



As I said, I like finding great new music. Unfortunately, for me, most of this soundtrack just isn't that. Breaking it down like this it seems like the only songs I did like were by bands that I had not ever heard of. I had no expectations. The "big name" acts did nothing for me. Too much hype? maybe. Let me know if anybody agrees -or if you think I should maybe give YOUR favorite song another listen (Except Editors--I just can't listen to him again :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment