9/8/11

The Joys of Daycare, from a Teacher's Perspective

The Joys of Daycare, From a Teacher's Perspective

Some of you may know where I work, most of you don't. I work in a daycare. In the toddler room of a daycare to be specific. Otherwise know as the baby demon room. The daycare is in a sleepy little town in upstate NY. It's name isn't important. No matter where it is, all the children are the same. Children everywhere are the same. They hit, pinch, kick, slap, spit, throw, and my personal favorite, bite. This is especially prevalent with my kids, who are mostly preverbal because they are so young. Under 3 to be exact. Not a meal goes by without spills, coughing on each other's food, grabbing each other's food, knocking the kid next to you off their chair, kicking under the table, etc. You've all seen these kids, if not bred them yourselves. The word of the week seems to be "why?" although they don't care about the answer. I suppose it is a step above "No" but not really any better.
If you hadn't guessed it yet, the title was a bit sarcastic. There are no real joys. At least not until the kids get a little bit older. Our older kids are so much better behaved. Of course there's one or two kids who get out of control from time to time, but nothing like my little demons. I have one little darling in particular who really gets under my skin. And not just with her teeth and fingernails. She's a biter and a slapper. And she likes to throw her shoes at me. She's alot of fun. Potty training has been alot of fun with her. Every time I try to put a diaper on her she slaps my face and pulls whatever hair she can get her fat little fingers around. Like I said, demon. You know what makes it worse? Mom denies that she acts like that at home. Flat out denies it. HELLO!! I'VE SEEN IT OUTSIDE OF WORK!! YOU'RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE! I can understand her embarrassment though. If she was my kid, I'd be mortified with her behavior. She's very fake. Can't stand it.

Now on the other hand, I have a kid who told me his shoes were "fucking wet" the other day. His words not mine. His mother apologized(when she finished laughing) for being who she is and talking like that in front of him. Completely not fake. Please parents, if you are going to be a potty mouth in front of your kids (God knows I am) tell them not to repeat it outside the house!! My kids know better than to repeat anything I say, teach yours! lol

Oh well. I guess that's enough ranting for now. Suffice it to say that I hate my job, although I am grateful to have one at all in my tiny little town. and on a happier note... 70 DAYS TO GO!!! and maybe I can talk my sister into going at midnight this time. Except she's Team Jacob, so maybe I won't. ;0

No comments:

Post a Comment